Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The Stranger

This post was triggered because of this article by Lazygeek

I have enjoyed reading some books and even after years after reading find it absolutely wonderful recalling some aspects of the book. Some books were wonderful just reading it and I donot have special liking afterwards. But there is one and only book which I HATED while reading, felt pathetic after reading but after a few months I find that book absolutely wonderful.

The Stranger (L'etranger) by Albert Camus is that book which i detested while reading but enjoy every aspect of it afterwards...I did not read the French version which is the original by Camus, but a translated one. Moi francias est ne pas tres bon, ok you know why I read the le translation ;)

The book was suggested to me by my friend who believes in existentialism...He did not tell me what existentialism was but handed me this book and told me to read.

The story revolves around a man called Mersault. Mersault is dull, dispassionate and has a no ambition in him, that is the kinda character that is portrayed. He describes his mom's death with a least bit of passion and remorse...The book starts off with Mersault's description of his mom's death, "Mom died today or may be the yesterday I dont know" clearly showing a lack of attachment. He has a girlfriend but does not feel anything for her. He shoots a guy for no apparent reason and does not even feel a slightest bit of remorse for the person whom he killed. The entire story revolves around Mersault and what happens to him.

I felt really pathetic after reading half of the story and wanted to drop the book, but I kept on going to see what happens to Mersault...Ok, i am not a moron to give away the ending..But I felt really pathetic after reading the book and wondered why my friend gave me that book to read....I did not look into to see what existentialism was either....

After a few months I casually came across this term (existentialism) and to my found the concept absolutely wonderful. That is the philosophy I always believed in not knowing any concept that such a concept already existed.

Existentialism has varied meanings these days and various people have various interpretations of the same...But I like this interpretation the best...Man is responsible for his own actions and behaviours, he is free to choose what he wants to be.Another popular phrase which I like is existence preceeds essence, which is "meant to mean" that there is no predefined essence to humanity but the one he (a human) creates by his existence.

After I read this thing about existentialism my whole view of The Stranger changed like I was having a breath of fresh air...I think it is one of the classics I have ever read...The beauty of the book is that it is Camus view of existentialism as is..There is no interpretation attached to it. So if one were to read that book he will hate that book to the core, but if you know the philosophy after or before reading the book the entire experience is amazing.

Existentialism is not new chapter to Indian philosophy, it is has been already said in The Bhavagad Gita but in a very very subtle way...(will talk of it in the future as this post is getting longer...)

12 Comment:

At 10:48 PM, Blogger Phoenix said...

Kovai
I dont think he is bad...he is an amazing writer....and have lota respect for him....

I did not like him for a short time..
It is like how I used to feel about Semmangudi before listening to Airport concert that is all ;)

Interesting Analogy and funda abotu Caza Marzu (I did see a one hour documentary on it long time back) but I think it is not as revolting as one might think of getting used to stenches...May be it is like how a guy on diet might feel thinking of eating Krishna sweets 'Mysurpa' thinking it will be revolting...but enjoys everybit of it when he has one piece...But then if he tries to have more it really sucks as it it cloying....I think that analogy fits my state better...;) too much philosophy is not good !! :)

Interesting trivia about Camus I did not know that ...'The Stranger' story happens in Algeria too....

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Phoenix said...

Kovai,
i got hung up with the words....

Algeria seems to be a place with lot of happennings...Rai music (example Khaled whsoe album was popular in India too) one my favourite is from Algeria (oran a coastal town in west algeria)...

I dont know about how Durian might smell...but from my personal experience the most of food courts in Singapore stinks man...dont know what they use for cooking....

 
At 6:16 AM, Blogger Suguna said...

pho,
though i want to call u something else but not pho...... anyways,
i think u r very very clear when u portray things and i like that a lot. for me reading is for pleasure. i donno how u guys take such solid heavy subject. anyways i appreciate that in a guy like u. keep up pho.......

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Phoenix said...

Oh ya now I know what Durian is..it is just a fruit and stinks so much..

Yup man I have Tarkan's cd..he rocks...so do Mustafa Sandal and Ozlem Tekin they are Turkish too...They are just making future Tamil songs in a way...Making albums to inspire, Deva, A.R. Rehman and Harris Jeyaraj....

Yes you heard me right..Rehman also borrows music at times !!

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Phoenix said...

Suguna,
Thanks...

"for me reading is for pleasure."

So is for me...

Heavy or light is a matter of opinion....I think Tolstoy or Rushdie might be heavy but some may not agree to that ;) !!

Philosophy is not necessarily a heavy concept ...only that I find that people are scared when that word is attached to things...it is just pondering about a concept or a thing....Dont we all do it in one way or another? To put it simplest terms when you say 'I think' it becomes your philosophy...

 
At 4:06 AM, Blogger Pal said...

About the post...
Interesting Stuff, bit high level for me
=======

About Muscians copying...I strongly believe people in IT Industry does not have any right to complain for the simple reasons, this is one industry where the best practices followed elsewhere is implemented and the person who did that gets rewarded on successfull incorporation.

Basically the funda of the matter is a good software engineer is one who could reuse(steal/ copy) the best possible code(logic) from somewhere else.

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Phoenix said...

Kovai
Yes there are several instances where one can see the nuances(read it as copy) of Hiphop,Rap, Khwalai and other genres in Rahman's music...but not sure about if it is 90% of the time ;)


Pal
I would disagree on that...when a best practise is put up (or a code in the net) you are giving rights to copy unless stated otherwise. In corporations here there is a strong ethic of not use code from outside (i mean copy)...If you take opensource, you have the right to modify....
But in music there is a copyright which says that you cannot copy and by doing a copy you are violating an agreement...

You may often cut/copy/paste code already written by you or your team mate or ex-team mate but that comes under either your/your companies intellectual property..

So not sure if ppl in IT industry should not talk about it...

 
At 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phoneix, I've reflected the same fact that the father of existentialism was krishna. in my book tag post. to sacve some of your time from searching that post, here is the url - http://www.lazygeek.net/archives/2005/06/08/book_taggin.html

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Morgan said...

wonder what your thoughts on Walt Whitman would be?

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Phoenix said...

Lazygeek,
Thanks for the pointer..it was interesting reading it...

Morgan,
I am sorry I havent read Whitman's works ...

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Pal said...

The difference in attitude between IT Industry and Music Industry is

In the former people stress more importance for efficiency of the process involved and quality of the product more than the CREATIVITY involved in developing the product.

In the latter people stress equally on the quality as well as the creativity quotient.

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very Interesting post. Existentialism ..hmm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home